[R-sig-Geo] criterion for the best fitting model if using GMM?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Aug 30 18:32:10 CEST 2015

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015, Qiuhua Ma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have two big datasets:10,000 observations and 40,000.
>
> I tried to use ML so that I can use maximized LL or AIC to decide the best
> fitting model! However it took so long and most of the time R was turned
> off automatically.

Please do read the posting instructions, and provide sample code
illustrating your problem.

Your main problem is not reading the documentation, as you will see that
you have ignored the method= argument (assuming that your neighbours are
sparse). Fitting ML models with n=40K with method="Matrix" for symmetric
weights and method="LU" for asymmetric weights just works for sparse
weights. If you are using dense neighbours, you should not be surprised
that things become difficult.

Using AIC is questionable anyway in econometrics, as you should know the
correct model from theory, or possibly use Bayesian model selection.

Stata spreg ml returns e(ll):

http://econ-server.umd.edu/~Prucha/Papers/SJ_SPREG%282013%29.pdf

> GMM seems like a better option. I searched the literature but cannot find
> the criterion for the best fitting model. Any idea?

This illustrates why you should indicate the published paper defining the
LL of such GMM-estimated models:

> library(sem)
> AIC(tsls(Q ~ P + D, ~ D + F + A, data=Kmenta))
Error in UseMethod("logLik") :
   no applicable method for 'logLik' applied to an object of class "tsls"
> logLik(tsls(Q ~ P + D, ~ D + F + A, data=Kmenta))
Error in UseMethod("logLik") :
   no applicable method for 'logLik' applied to an object of class "tsls"

Stata spreg g2sls does not returm a log likelihood.

Please do check the literature before posting speculations.

Roger Bivand