[R-sig-Geo] Factorial kriging in GStat - tips for implementation?

Tim Peterson timjp at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Aug 28 05:06:06 CEST 2015

Thanks Edzer. Good to hear that I seem to be looking at the correct part
of the code. And, I agree that the implementation must be simple and the
code changes clear.  The best approach I can see for this is to add an
option to the 'set' input for krige() that specifies the variogram
number that is to be used for the calculation of the right hand C0.

On 27/08/15 16:38, Edzer Pebesma wrote:
> On 08/27/2015 02:48 AM, Tim Peterson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking to undertake factorial colocated cokriging with GStat but
>> factorial kriging does not appear to be an available option in GStat (eg
>> help.search("factorial kriging") ). There was a post in 2007 requesting
>> this feature (http://marc.info/?l=r-sig-geo&m=119810046000747) and a
>> proposed approach in 2000
>> (https://www.mail-archive.com/gstat-info@geog.uu.nl/msg00045.html) but
>> no updates since. As far as I can tell, the required changes would be to
>> 'gls.c' lines 412-423, specifically the call to GCV0 for calculating C0
>> (right-hand side of the kriging matrix) should be edited so that only
>> the covariance for the required factor is calculated.
> Not being an expert in factorial kriging, I also think that this is what
> is needed. A challenge may be to make the implementation simple and
> clean, both from the perspective of the user as well as from the code
> maintainer.
>
> If the only goal is to suppress the nugget effect, as the poster in your
> first link mentions, try replacing a "Nug" variogram model with an "Err"
> variogram model.
Also, I need factorial kriging for estimating only the large scale
effect (ie the longer range variogram for the primary variable from a
set of >=2 variograms). This is for the eventual use to undertake
indicator simulations for a highly non-stationary  (first order) system,
specifically basin scale water table elevation.