[R-sig-Geo] Global Precipitation Measurement data download

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 05:49:40 CEST 2015

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 at 12:26 Roberto Horn <robertomhorn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Michael.
>
> I'm really new to TRMM and GPM data types and analysis. I'm going to
> have to do some study before I can answer you properly.
> If Frede answers were not enough, let me know and I will gather some
> more information.

What would be helpful would be to know which of the format/s you can open
on your system/s.

Via raster/rgdal:
GeoTIFF will  work everywhere, but this can make life harder for matlab
users (if you care for them and they share your collection)
HDF5 will only work on Linux (unless you can build rgdal with HDF5 for
Windows)

via raster/ncdf/ncdf4:
NetCDF will work anywhere, unless it is NetCDF version 4 - then it will
only work on Linux - on windows you can build the ncdf or ncdf4 package
yourself or use David Pierce's outdated build.

Out of this I would go for GeoTIFF, or for NetCDF if it's pre version 4 -
 as I need it for Linux and Windows users and I can't get all the systems
up to speed.

It's fairly straightforward, we register a collection with raadsync which
keeps it up to date and then write a wrapper in raadtools:

https://github.com/AustralianAntarcticDivision/raadtools

Neither of these packages is very polished and the set up is not documented
properly, but a nice documented example of application to a new data set is
something I try to find time for. I'll try to get to this soon.

Cheers, Mike.

I though that could have a package and I did not know. If you could