[R-sig-Geo] Problem installing rgeos

Waichler, Scott R Scott.Waichler at pnnl.gov
Thu Aug 6 19:57:29 CEST 2015

Problems solved.

First, on my system I reinstalled and ran ldconfig for the following software:  geos-2.4.2, proj-4.9.1 and gdal-2.0.0.  Within R I reinstalled Rcpp from source.
Along the way I had to address other problems.  I deleted an empty directory called gdalplugins, and created a file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/gdal.conf with the line "/usr/local/lib" in it.  I could finally install rgdal with

> install.packages("rgdal", dependencies = F, repos = "http://cran.fhcrc.org/", configure.args=c(rgdal='--with-gdal-lib=/usr/local/lib'))

and after that, I was also able to install rgeos.  I'm not implying that rgeos depends on rgdal, but the command

R CMD check rgeos_0.3-11.tar.gz

brought up dependency errors that forced me to go back and get rgdal working first.  I may be forgetting some key steps that made this all work, if so, my apologies.  I hope I don't have to do it again!

--Scott