[R-sig-Geo] leaflet problem

boB Rudis bob at rudis.net
Sat Aug 1 14:35:47 CEST 2015

The documentation for addTiles has this:

    addTiles(map,
             urlTemplate = "http://{s}.tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png",
             attribution = NULL,
             layerId = NULL,
             group = NULL,
             options = tileOptions())

By default, when one does:

    wien <- "http://maps{s}.wien.gv.at/basemap/bmapgrau/normal/google3857/{z}/{y}/{x}.png"
    leaflet() %>% addTiles(wien)

the underlying leaflet code is issuing calls for tiles like this:

    http://mapsa.wien.gv.at/basemap/bmapgrau/normal/google3857/1/0/0.png

(so, "mapsa" vs "maps1", "mapsb" vs "maps2", etc).

You can specify a different format for the subdomains, but when I do:

    leaflet() %>% addTiles(wien, options=tileOptions(subdomains="1234"))

leaflet does use the numerical subdomain option (i.e. i see calls for
URLs like this):

    http://maps1.wien.gv.at/basemap/bmapgrau/normal/google3857/1/0/0.png

but I get 404's for those tiles (I may not be authorized though).

-Bob