[R-sig-Geo] Gaussian transformation

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Wed Apr 29 12:57:52 CEST 2015

On 04/29/2015 12:32 PM, Carlo Innocenti wrote:
> Thank you Edzer.
>
> It works, but I need the back transformation as well.
> What about the gaussian anamorphosis with hermite polynomials? I know
> that is a method used to normalize the data before to apply the
> conditional gaussian simulation.

I haven't seen this in R.

> There is a package in R to transform and back transform with this method?
> Another method that is used in these cases should be the normal scores
> transformation: is it implemented in some package?

I think what I suggested below is commonly referred to as normal score
transformation, maybe with the variation of taking out the 0.5 or having
1, there. GSLIB used to advocate this, and had a program for
backtransforming, making certain assumptions about the tails. I'd
recommend trying log or Box-Cox first, and then look into copulas.