[R-sig-Geo] R Basic Spatial Interpolation

Bernie Kruger berniekruger at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 00:48:06 CEST 2014

I am a bit lost at the moment trying to find an R package/method to solve my
very basic problem. I think this might be the right forum to help me out. I
have a very simple dataset with Lat/Lon, Temp and Time as observations of
temperature at specific weather stations.

All I want to do is to “predict” missing temperatures at specific Lat/Lon
locations not covered by the weather stations. This need not to be highly
accurate, but purely indicative of what the temperature could be.

I suspect I am after Spatial Interpolation, but I also read about Kriging
etc.

I have played around with various methods/packages (Akima/Kriging) and it
does my head in - no success. Any suggestions/help please?

Cheers