[R-sig-Geo] Spatial maximisation problem using polygons

Rui Catarino R.Catarino at MARLAB.AC.UK
Fri Sep 19 11:18:57 CEST 2014

Hi,

This is not a very objective question and I apologise for that in advance.  What I'm really looking for is some pointers on where to start or where to look for information. I've been looking in the web for the last couple of days and found very little. That might be because I'm failing in using the right key words or R is not the tool which I doubt, so here I am asking the experts.

So basically I have a grid in which, each cell is a square and it has a certain value. The grid values change every week and every week I need to generate multiple polygons of fixed size (4 cells of the grid). The polygons value (sum of cell values) should be maximised but polygons cannot be adjacent and need to have a spacing of at least one cell between them.

The task will get a lot more complex with a few more constrains but I think if I get some pointers, papers or similar examples I could start from there.
I can generate the grid but I failed to find similar examples in the internet on regular polygon placement or maximisation.

Any help will be very much appreciated.
Cheers

Rui Catarino
Data Analyst/Modeller
Fishery Analysis and Assessment Group
Marine Scotland - Science

Scottish Government | B15 | Marine Laboratory, 375, Victoria Road | Aberdeen AB11 9DB

Tel:  +44 (0)1224 295572
Mob:+44 (0)7530 240666
Fax: +44 (0)1224 295511
r.catarino at marlab.ac.uk<mailto:r.catarino at marlab.ac.uk>