[R-sig-Geo] Trying to install rgdal from source on Windows 7 (and failing)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Sep 19 10:15:30 CEST 2014

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, Dutrieux, Loic wrote:

> You may try some steps documented in the README.windows file, included
> in the package sources.
> https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/inst/README.windows?view=markup&root=rgdal

Thank you for pointing to this file.

> But note that the file has not been updated in a little while. I can't
> tell whether this is still likely to work or not...

This is correct.

My feeling is that installing rgdal from source on Windows is going to
take (much) more time learning about compilers and their peculiarities
than using command line utilities distributed in the PostGIS bundle for
Windows:

http://postgis.net/windows_downloads

There shp2pgsql and pgsql2shp are mentioned, but as GDAL is also
installed, ogr2ogr would let you use other intermediate file formats than
ESRI Shapefiles, provided that the drivers are in the rgdal Windows binary
package. Writing a small R function to run and check system() or system2()
to run the command line utilities from inside R will be much easier than
installing rgdal from source unless you know a lot about the compliers
used with PostGIS and R. It also removes concerns that some components may
be 32-bit or 64-bit.

Hope this helps,

Roger