[R-sig-Geo] Problem in creating neighbors, area and perimeter in spatial econometrics using R

solmaz.ahmadi solmaz.ahmadi at ut.ac.ir
Thu Sep 18 14:36:22 CEST 2014

Hi.

I'm working on a `spatial cross section model` with
`R-programming-language `. I'm running these codes which refers to
`anselin data` (spatial_columbus) in `spdep` package. I found them from
these links:

MAIN PAGE :
https://sites.google.com/site/econometricsacademy/econometrics-models/spatial-econometrics

DATASET :
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwogTI8d6EEiZVdBSlgwdmFjTUk/edit?pli=1

 library(spdep)# Loading required package: sp &Loading required package:
Matrix

 data(Columbus)

 mydata<-columbus

 attach(mydata)

 y<-cbind(CRIME)

 x<-cbind(INC,HOVAL)

 xy<-cbind(mydata$X, mydata$Y)

 neighbors<-col.gal.nb

 coords<-coords

 summary(neighbors)

When I used these codes for data (columbus) in `spdep` package,
everything is fine, but when I want apply them to my data (human capital
index) I'm not able to define `neighborhood` for my data . My problem is
in this line `( neighbor<-col.gal.nb)`.it's the neighbors list from an
original `GAL-format file` and it's a pre-defined file . I don't know
any codes for creating neighbors to my data and I think my data
framework is different from spatial Columbus data framework (There is
`AREA`, `PERIMETER`,`ID` and `POLYID` columns that I don't have these
columns in my data framework).

The help link for `col.gal.nb` is here (you can open this link in R
environment after above codes)

 http://127.0.0.1:20991/library/spdep/html/columbus.html

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1. How can I use `ArcGIS` to create `AREA` and `PERIMETER` to my data
file? I have some counties as samples. Are any easier solution for
finding these values or I should only use `ArcGIS` for this purpose?

2. Which code pack can I use to creating neighbors based on contiguity
and distance in `R`?

My dependent variable is `HCI `and `Y` is latitude, `X` is longitude and
other variables are independent variables.

My data set framework :
http://www.mediafire.com/view/lf43qm1h5ptztt6/spatial_columbus.csv

Pre-defined framwwork :
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ml76tbrf6p69vkf/human_capital_index.csv