[R-sig-Geo] Distances from points to coast do not make sense.

Agus Camacho agus.camacho at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 23:13:58 CEST 2014

Thanks again Robert,

In case it is of help for any body, after trying several combinations, the
fastest solution I got to calculate minimum distances to coast was:

require(PBSmapping)

wcoastline <- importShapefile("GSHHS_c_L1.shp")
w=as.matrix(wcoastline[,c('X','Y')])

# You will need x1, an object with: 1) long 2)lat coordinates

require(sp)
  distance=rep(NA,dim(x1)[1])
  for(n in 1:dim(x1)[1])
    {
    distance[n]=min(spDistsN1(w,cbind(x[n,1], x1[n,2]),longlat=TRUE))
  }
  meandist=mean(distance)#
}

Cheers,