[R-sig-Geo] Intended usage of gIntersection ?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Sat Sep 13 19:04:06 CEST 2014

Dear list,

I'm trying to intersect two SpatialPolygonsDataFrames imported from shape
files. (readOGR)
The idea is to get the new polygons + the merged attributes of both
layers, but the outcome is a SpatialPolygon class without a data slot.

Is this the intended behaviour of gIntersection or is there something
broken in my R-Installation, cause I googled now for 2 days to find a
solution on that problem, but only found two hits on stackexchange where
people had similar problems, and no working solution (at least for me),
nor was I able to find any standard recipt how to join the attributes back
to the new polygons.

So obviously only rare people seem to have the need to get also the data
 from an intersection or do I miss some really basic R-capabilities not
worth to write down in any documentation??

Hope someone can shed some light
Thanks
Bernd

--