[R-sig-Geo] gIntersection gives error (may not contain geometry collections)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Sep 11 23:33:33 CEST 2014

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014, Graham Bond McNamara wrote:

> I am trying to use gIntersection like so:
>
> gIntersection(mypolys.spdf, mylines.sldf, byid=c(TRUE,TRUE))
>
> This intersection between the polygons in the SpatialPolygonsDataFrame
> and the lines in the SpatialLinesDataFrame should result in a new
> SpatialLines object. I have used this before and this works.
>
> However, on my new dataset, I get the following error:
>
> output subgeometry 3195, row.name: 24 3759
> subsubgeometry 0: Point
> subsubgeometry 1: LineString
> Error in RGEOSBinTopoFunc(spgeom1, spgeom2, byid, id, drop_not_poly,
> "rgeos_intersection") :
>  Geometry collections may not contain other geometry collections
>
> I have inspected mypolys.spdf and my lines.sldf, and they are not
> geometry collections, but just the spdf and sldf. So I don't know
> where the "Point" and "LineString" are coming from (what is a
> LineString anyway?).

Briefly, an input Polygons object and an input Lines object intersect at a
point and a line, so returning a collection of objects of different types.
Almost certainly the intention is to drop the point (a line of no length),
as is already optionally done when a polygon/polygon intersection returns
polygon and non-polygon (point or line) objects - the drop_not_poly=
argument. Your case suggests that this should be checked again, to change
the present argument to drop points for lines and points/lines for
polygons. The details of the meanings of operations are found in the JTS
references in the package.

Hope this clarifies,

Roger