[R-sig-Geo] Anselin Local Moran's I with R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Sep 10 18:40:38 CEST 2014

On Tue, 9 Sep 2014, David Romero wrote:

> Hello Roger,
>
> Thank you for aclarations. Obviously, climatic data are dependent of
> elevation. I wished to calculate local Moran as an exploratory method
> to identifie outliers before computing semivariograms. Could you
> suggest a better method?

Why would local Moran's I indicate outliers - do you mean very large L/H
or H/L values, in which neighbouring observations are very dissimilar? I
assume your data are from weather stations, so point support, rather than
remotely sensed. Shouldn't a map of residuals from fitting a mean model
(including relevant covariates and/or trend) with carefully chosen class
intervals be sufficient? If you need contrasts between proximate
neighbours, maybe just plot the variable of interest against its spatial
lag, and choose those stations with big differences.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no