[R-sig-Geo] How to draw two variogram curves in one plot

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Thu Sep 4 08:06:51 CEST 2014

On 09/04/2014 04:57 AM, lwwhdz wrote:
> Dear all
>      I am doing some work on regression kriging in R. Now I want to plot the varigrom curves of the dependent variable (A) and the regression residuals (B) before kriging. With this plot, I can easily to compare the autocorrelation (e.g. sill, range & nugget) of A and B.  I tried the following two commond, but it failed.
> plot(variogram(A~1,data), vgm_a,  pch = 19, col = "black", lwd=2, add=TRUE)
> plot(variogram(B~1,data), vgm_b,  pch = 19, col = "black", lwd=2)
>     Is there anyone have any ideas? Thanks very much!

Yes, compose incrementally using base plot:

a = variogram(A~1,data)
b = variogram(B~1,data)
plot(gamma ~ dist, a, pch = 19)
points(gamma ~ dist, b, pch = 20) # use another pch!
lines(variogramLine(vgm_a, max(a$gamma)))
lines(variogramLine(vgm_b, max(a$gamma), col = 2))

in the plot() command you probably want to specify xlim and ylim in
order to have (0,0) as the plot origin.