[R-sig-Geo] readOGR cannot open .shp file

GraysonLee08 gray.vanderlinde at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 21:15:56 CEST 2014

I'm certain this is just user error however I can't seem to load a specific
shape file into my current project. Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

To start off, I'm trying to load the 2010 census tracts for the city of
Chicago so I can show population density. I've installed and loaded the
following packages:

     ## Install packages
     install.packages("rgdal")

     ## Load packages
     library(rgdal)
     library(ggplot2)
     library(rgeos)
     library(map tools)
     library(ggmap)

In the loading process for rgdal I notice that the version of rgdal that was
loaded is 0.9-1 and the version of GDAL is 1.9.2. Additionally, Path to GDAL
shared files is
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library/rgdal/gdal

Loaded PROJ.4 runtime: Rel. 4.8.0
Path to PROJ.4 shared files:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library/rgdal/prom

I've set my working directory to the location of the .shp file
     getwd()
     [1] "/Users/Gray/Dropbox/School/Food Desert"

and use the following command to store my shape file:
     ChicagoCensusTract2010 <- readOGR(dsn = ".", "ChicagoCensusTract")

I'm receiving the following error and am not really sure what to do next.
     Error in ogrInfo(dsn = dsn, layer = layer, encoding = encoding,
use_iconv = use_iconv,  :
       Cannot open file

I'd really appreciate any help I can get on this.