[R-sig-Geo] Calculating what proportion of polygons is covered by rivers

Juta Kawalerowicz juta.kawalerowicz at nuffield.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 30 23:59:25 CET 2014

Hi, I have question - I am looking for ideas how to proceed.

I have a SpatialPolygonsDataFrame with polygons (300) representing
districts. Another SpatialPolygonsDataFrame has 700 polygons and these
polygons represent rivers and flooding areas. My question is how would you
go about calculating what proportion of districts is covered by rivers and
flooding areas?

My first intuition was to rasterize it and then use the extract function
but maybe I am overcomplicating this. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Juta