[R-sig-Geo] Variable search radius for interpolation

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Mon Nov 24 20:16:08 CET 2014

I've implemented recently a function that helps speeding up kriging with
spatially clustered data (for it fits kernel density function first and
then sub-samples regular points proportionally to the density of
observations). It comes together with the GSIF package:

http://gsif.r-forge.r-project.org/spline.krige.html

This should be especially useful if you need to interpolate values over
a large grid e.g. millions of prediction locations. For example, I've
used it to interpolate values over whole Africa at 250 m (over 30,000 by
30,000 pixels) and it took only 3-4 minutes to run.

Note that this function needs SAGA GIS (v2.1 or higher).

HTH,

T. Hengl