[R-sig-Geo] Warning message: points were rejected as lying outside the specified window

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun May 18 17:39:24 CEST 2014

On Sun, 18 May 2014, Hossain, Md wrote:

> Thanks, Berry.
> The data do not have any obvious errors as you have mentioned. Almost
> all the points those are outside of the window are along the coastline,
> and rest are near the Great Lakes area. It looks like these 42 points
> are ending up on the wrong side of the approximated boundary.

So either you can choose a different approximation to the shoreline you
are interested in from another source. Or perhaps buffer it out the
maximum distance from the excluded points to the original polygon (see
rgeos::gDistance and rgeos::gBuffer)? This may not be adequate, as your
polygon and points appear to be in geographical rather than planar
coordinates, which will affect the naive distances obtained when using
geographical coordinates as if they are planar.

Roger