[R-sig-Geo] reading CRU files in .dat format into a data frame

Remi Genevest rgenevest at free.fr
Sat May 3 13:06:51 CEST 2014

Hi,
I have downloaded some climatic data provided by the Climatic Research Unit
(ref: Mitchell et al. (2003) ; "CRU TS 1.2" ; 10' resolution for Europe)
from there :

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/hrg/timm/grid/CRU_TS_1_2.html
<http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/hrg/timm/grid/CRU_TS_1_2.html>

I was wondering if a "simple" way may exist to read these data into a R data
frame shaped like this :
Lon Lat ClimaticVariable Year Month

This kind of CRU data are widely used in statistical geography, that's the
reason why I thought some of you may have already been confronted to this
problem.

Thanks for help
best regards