[R-sig-Geo] align_rasters function added to gdalUtils 0.3.5

Jonathan Greenberg jgrn at illinois.edu
Mon Mar 31 18:48:43 CEST 2014

Folks:

I added a beta of a new function "align_rasters" to gdalUtils 0.3.5
(currently on r-forge): http://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=1695

This is a fairly frequently requested function, where you want to
"coerce" one raster to match the projection, extent, and resolution of
another one (e.g. setting up a time series stack, or taking data from
multiple sources for use with a species distribution model).  I have
something similar in spatial.tools (spatial_sync_raster), but
align_rasters is MUCH faster since it uses the native gdal binaries to
do the processing.

You should check out the options in ?gdalwarp to see what additional
parameters you can send to align_rasters, but for the most part the
only thing you might want to mod is the resampling method (e.g.
align_rasters(...,r="near") ).  Also, and this is somewhat untested,
you can use multi=TRUE and it will, in theory, run the alignment using
multiple processors.

Let me know if you run into any bugs or want to see any features added.  Cheers!

--j

--
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Assistant Professor