[R-sig-Geo] reading .hdf files

dododave dododave at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 19:51:45 CET 2014

Yes, I checked the projection info from the newly converted tiff file, and it
is blank. I even tried to set the projection with the command below to match
my poly file;

projection(rast) <- "+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84 +ellps=WGS84 +towgs84=0,0,0"

but this isn't right. I tried to use the GDALinfo command to extract the
metadata, but that doesn't work either. The ftp site I downloaded the .hdf
files from is run by the NOAA, and I found some info;

Table 2 Description of File attributes (Meta data)
Meta data tag	Content
GRID_ROWS	Number of rows for data grid
GRID_COLUMNS	Number of columns for data grid
START_LATITUDE_RANGE	The latitude of the grid’s northern edge
END_LATITUDE_RANGE	The latitude of the  grid’s southern edge
START_LONGITUDE_RANGE	The longitude of the grid’s western edge
END_LONGITUDE_RANGE	The longitude of the  grid’s eastern edge
PROJECTION	Projection type

But how do I view the metadata?

Jonathan Greenberg-3 wrote