[R-sig-Geo] reading .hdf files

Jonathan Greenberg jgrn at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 25 19:52:47 CET 2014

Hi Dave:

In all likelihood, it couldn't find your GDAL install.  What OS are
you using?  What GDAL install did you use?  Can you restart R, and
then paste the output of:

library("gdalUtils")
gdal_setInstallation(verbose=TRUE)

And then the output of:

getOption("gdalUtils_gdalPath")

Thanks!

--j

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM, dododave <dododave at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank-you Jonathan. I have done as you suggested and installed the latest
> version of GDAL and gdalUtils, and then followed the example in the
> gdal_translate help.
>
> To convert the hdf file test.hdf to .tif format, I use the following code;
>
> hdf4_dataset <- system.file("test.hdf", package="gdalUtils")
> gdal_translate(hdf4_dataset,"test.tif",sd_index=1)
> #I renamed the file to test.hdf for simplicity
>
> But this did not work. I got this error;
>
> Error in split1[[1]] : subscript out of bounds
> In addition: Warning message:
> running command '"C:\Program Files\QGIS Dufour\bin\gdalinfo.exe" ""' had
> status 1
>
> The hdf file I was trying to load was;
> ftp://ftp.orbit.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/corp/scsb/wguo/GVIx/GVIx_VH_16km/NVI/GVIX_NL_G16_C07_NVI_Y2005_P26.hdf
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Assistant Professor
Global Environmental Analysis and Remote Sensing (GEARS) Laboratory
Department of Geography and Geographic Information Science
259 Computing Applications Building, MC-150
605 East Springfield Avenue
Champaign, IL  61820-6371
Phone: 217-300-1924
http://www.geog.illinois.edu/~jgrn/