[R-sig-Geo] Spatial auto-correlation globally (sphere)

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Mar 23 21:46:19 CET 2014

Has anyone seen a method for creating a neighbor list, for use in
spatial auto-correlation tests, that treats the earth as a sphere so
that relationships can go shortest distance. I'm trying to make a
neighbor list of all countries in the world.

Yes I realize that the relatedness may not be distance and I might
weight on some other factor but I need the neighbor list to start.

Example, US <-> Japan, China or Russia should be a line across the Pacific

Perhaps I need to develop the neighbor list using some sort of social
diagramming tool instead.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex