[R-sig-Geo] Environmental Risk Surface

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Mar 20 17:35:39 CET 2014

All such tools are algorithms applied in some way via a raster
calculator. So the question is what formula or model of Risk Assessment
do you want to use. It can be a simple calculation based on your layers
and your knowledge of how important they are.

Or you can use many statistical formulas if you wanted. Marxan is just
one particular method of doing such calculations. There is no 1 way to
calculate risk. See http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Environmetrics.html

Once you have the statistical model you want to apply, you can use
predict to generate values over your area based on your other layers.

The question is not if R can do it, but what do you want R to do.

Thanks,
Alex