[R-sig-Geo] overlapping polygons in shapefile

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Mar 12 10:30:54 CET 2014

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014, Alice C. Hughes wrote:

Please do not take threads off-list - I am not offering private advice,
and what is said on the list is intended to be public so that others can
contribute.

> Hi
>
> Thanks so much for the informative answer-but I'm not certain if it will
> yield what I am looking for-basically I have distribution range polygons for
> multiple species and I want to collapse them down to give the number or
> species sugested to be in an area-whether that be 1 or 1000 in map form-so
> basically you have a "heat-map" or species occurences: which tool would yield
> this? I have all the polygons in one shapefile at present in geographic
> projection and WGS 84, decimal degrees Thanks so much for your help

The whole point of using R is that users are encouraged to create and modify
tools from parts (aka functions or methods). Most research problems are coerced
into fixed subsets of problems that can be tackled with "other people's" tools.
If researchers are to take responsibility for actually tackling research
questions with the best alignment of data collection, data representation,
workflow in data handling, analysis, it is their respopnsibility to ensure that
the tools are as well aligned with the problem as possible. Otherwise, your
ability to infer about the actual processes will have been amputated by the
limitations imposed by using tools not matching your problem.

Change of support is particularly important here, so your ourput map of species
incidence (don't call it a heatmap, it isn't measuring heat) depends crucially
on steps in the workflow (for example, what is the error involved in
delineating the range polygons?).

I was mislead by your phrasing to think that you also needed the areas of each
species x species overlap (counts are a bit trivial), and you haven't said what
you mean by area (is it a measure, a polygon, or a raster cell?). What does:
"number o[f] species sugested to be in an area" mean? Do you mean a raster
cell? Or the polygonal intersection output for each unique count? Or what?

gOverlaps(..., byid=TRUE) should give counts (it returns a matrix, and the
rows/columns should be the counts if the polygons are species). However, if you
have many polygons, do use the STR tree approach only to search for overlaps
among polygons that actually have intersecting bounding boxes. You can count
the number of overlaps in this way. If someone can provide random overlapping
polygons in a SpatialPolygons object, it would be easier to show. All R lists
do ask for reproducible cases with built-in or simulated data.

Roger

> Alice
>

> Alice C. HughesAssociate ProfessorCentre for Integrative
> Conservation,Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden,Chinese Academy of
> SciencesMenglun, Mengla, Yunnan 666303, P.R. ChinaPh:
> 15198676559achughes at xtbg.ac.cn
>
>> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 20:56:02 +0100
>> From: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
>> To: dr_achughes at hotmail.co.uk
>> CC: r-sig-geo at stat.math.ethz.ch
>> Subject: Re: [R-sig-Geo] overlapping polygons in shapefile
>>
>> On Tue, 11 Mar 2014, Alice C. Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All
>>> This should be simple-but ArcGis keeps getting stuck at 22%...I have a
>>> large shapefile, which contains multiple overlapping polygons for
>>> various species-and I would like to count for any area how many polygons
>>> overlap.A script would be really fantastic!Thanks in advance
>>
>> Wouldn't it just? However, as usual, such scripts will only cause grief,
>> as they will not (necessarily) match your workflow. Most likely, you
>> have two choices, one to rasterise thr polygons separately (not
>> together, because they overlap), then count overlapping cells.
>>
>> If the shapefile is "large", like tens of thousands of polygons, you could
>> try the rgeos package, first using gUnarySTRtreeQuery() or
>> gBinarySTRtreeQuery() to identify possible overlapping candidates (these
>> functions report intersecting bounding boxes of polygons).
>>
>> Next try gOverlaps() subsetting the input objects by the output of the
>> intersecting bounding boxes. Once you've found the overlaps, take their
>> intersections with gIntersection(), and get the area with gArea(). Note
>> that this only applies to planar, projected polygons. If they are in
>> geographical coordinates, project before using gArea(). Look carefully at
>> the byid= arguments in gOverlaps, gIntersection and gArea. Depending on
>> the complexity of the setting, you may be using for loops and subsetting
>> by indices - there are examples in Ch. 5 of ASDAR (2nd edition) of this
>> kind of subsetting (or see the online code at www.asdar-book.org), about
>> chunks 41-3 in http://www.asdar-book.org/book2ed/cm2_mod.R.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Roger
>>
>>> Alice
>>>
>>> Alice C. HughesAssociate ProfessorCentre for Integrative
>>> Conservation,Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden,Chinese Academy of
>>> SciencesMenglun, Mengla, Yunnan 666303, P.R. ChinaPh:
>>> 15198676559achughes at xtbg.ac.cn
>>>
>>> Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 14:33:29 +1000
>>> Subject: Re: [Trop-R] Kernel Density Estimation Bootstrap
>>> From: lhodgson86 at gmail.com
>>> To: tropical-r at googlegroups.com
>>>
>>> Hi Christian,
>>> This formatting shows that the data has been read in as a single column
>>> with 'V1' as the column name and 'x,y' as the value of row 1, and so on:

>>>                V11              x,y
>>> 2   648501,89104003   641686,8917264
>>> 4   645984,89143285   647058,8913794

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no