[R-sig-Geo] Cut SpatialLines into two Lines when intersecting with SpatialPolyon

Wouter Steenbeek WSteenbeek at nscr.nl
Tue Jun 3 16:56:53 CEST 2014

I'm sorry I didn't provide a toy example. I figured it was a simple question and I just couldn't find some well-known function.

I am not very familiar with readWKT(), but I used the sp_intro text to generate the following example:

library(sp)

Sr1 = Polygon(cbind(c(2,4,4,1,2),c(2,3,5,4,2)))
Sr2 = Polygon(cbind(c(5,4,2,5),c(2,3,2,2)))
Sr3 = Polygon(cbind(c(4,4,5,6,6,4),c(5,3,2,2,5,5)))
Sr4 = Polygon(cbind(c(6,6,8,8,6),c(5,2,2,5,5)))
Srs1 = Polygons(list(Sr1), "s1")
Srs2 = Polygons(list(Sr2), "s2")
Srs3 = Polygons(list(Sr3), "s3")
Srs4 = Polygons(list(Sr4), "s4")
SpP = SpatialPolygons(list(Srs1,Srs2,Srs3, Srs4), 1:4)
plot(SpP, col = 5:8) # these are three example neighborhoods

l1 = cbind(c(2,5),c(4,4))
l2 = cbind(c(5,7),c(3,3))
Sl1 = Line(l1)
Sl2 = Line(l2)
S1 = Lines(list(Sl1), ID="a")
S2 = Lines(list(Sl2), ID="b")
Sl = SpatialLines(list(S1,S2))
plot(Sl, add=TRUE) # two streets, which cross neighborhood boundaries

I am looking for a way to recode the lines into separate lines, when they cross a polygon boundary. So the resulting SpatialLines object should, for SpatialLine #1, have two new lines: one from (2,4) to (4,4), and another line from (4,4) to (5,4). For SpatialLine #2 there should also be two new lines created: one from (5,3) to (6,3) and another one from (6,3) to (7,3). Ideally these new lines should rename the IDs of the original SpatialLines in a convenient way.

Outcome would be a new SpatialLines object:

l1_1 = cbind(c(2,4),c(4,4))
l1_2 = cbind(c(4,5),c(4,4))
l2_1 = cbind(c(5,6),c(3,3))
l2_2 = cbind(c(6,7),c(3,3))
Sl1_1 = Line(l1_1)
Sl1_2 = Line(l1_2)
Sl2_1 = Line(l2_1)
Sl2_2 = Line(l2_2)
S1_1 = Lines(list(Sl1_1), ID="a_1")
S1_2 = Lines(list(Sl1_2), ID="a_2")
S2_1 = Lines(list(Sl2_1), ID="b_1")
S2_2 = Lines(list(Sl2_2), ID="b_2")
Sl2 = SpatialLines(list(S1_1,S1_2,S2_1,S2_2))
plot(Sl2, add=TRUE, col=1:4)

So I would like to convert Sl into Sl2 in some automatic manner. I'm thinking I should use "over" (from sp) to get the intersections of lines and polygons and go from there. But I don't quite see how to proceed from there (ie how to automatically "cut" a line into two lines).

By the way, if this is important to know: I'm actually working with SpatialPolygonsDataFrame and SpatialLinesDataFrame. So it would be nice if the two new lines (for example, S1_1 and S1_2) simply inherit the entire dataframe of the parent (in this example, the df attached to S1). My apologies that I don't provide that in the toy example, but I thought I'd keep the example as simple as possible.

Cheers,
Wouter