[R-sig-Geo] GAM: which package?

Henk Sierdsema Henk.Sierdsema at sovon.nl
Tue Jul 29 22:14:49 CEST 2014

Hi Maurizio,

If your main interest is distribution modelling I would skip the GAM's and their inherent problems with overfitting, covariates with high correlations, etc. and use something like Random Forests or Generalized Boosting Models/Boosted Regression Trees. They have proven to be superior to GLM's and GAM's for species distribution modelling, but don't suffer from overfitting and can easily deal with large numbers of covariates, even when these are correlated. Both are described in dismo. For Random Forests you can also use BIOMOD.

Success,

Henk Sierdsema

Sovon Vogelonderzoek Nederland / Sovon Dutch Centre for Field Ornithology

www.sovon.nl
P.O. Box 6521
NL-6503 GA Nijmegen
+31-247410445