[R-sig-Geo] Spatial Regression with two Weights matrix (SAR)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Jul 27 15:17:21 CEST 2014

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014, Linus Holtermann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is there a R function that could estimate the following spatial regression:
>
> y = rho_1*W1*y + rho_2*W2*y + XB + e
>
> W1 and W2 are not identical, of course.

No, not least because the mutual constraints on \rho_* are unknown. Too
little is known about (I - (\sum{i=1}{k}\rho_i W_i)) in the literature as
far as I am aware. It may seem attractive to see W_i as bands of
increasing distances, or graph steps, but these models actually work
through (I - \rho W)^{-1}, which includes all higher order
relationships implicitly. The same lack of knowledge about constraints
applies to the SEM error case:

y = X\beta + u, u = \sum{i=1}{k}(\rho_i W_i u) + e

but this is more like the case of a collection of variogram models.

In the SAR (lag), you also face the problem of finding the impacts, as the
\beta values should not be interpreted directly, as the reduced form is:

y = (I - (\sum{i=1}{k}\rho_i W_i))^{-1} (X\beta + e)

and the \rho's and \beta interact.

Contributions welcome,

Roger