[R-sig-Geo] R "frozen" in GRASS

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jul 18 12:28:32 CEST 2014

Please do not post HTML.

Please rather use the grass-stats or grass-users list, as this is not an R
problem, but more likely an issue with your installation of GRASS. The
GRASS GUI is the source of the error messages. In any case, did you try
starting R from the command line in the regular terminal from which you
started GRASS, which should avoid all GUI/Python interaction? Why did you
use R --save rather than just R; maybe the GUI console is trying to
interpret the option?

Roger

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014, Luis Miguel Royo Pérez wrote:

> On 16/07/14 18:56, Luis Miguel Royo P?rez wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm new in this matter. I've intalled R GRASS and the packages needed
>> for use R and GRASS together. When I run GRASS I type this in the console:
>>
>> R --save
>>
>> And I get this:
>>
>> R version 3.1.1 (2014-07-10) -- "Sock it to Me"
>> Copyright (C) 2014 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
>> Platform: i686-pc-linux-gnu (32-bit)
>> R es un software libre y viene sin GARANTIA ALGUNA.
>> Usted puede redistribuirlo bajo ciertas circunstancias.
>> Escriba 'license()' o 'licence()' para detalles de distribucion.
>> R es un proyecto colaborativo con muchos contribuyentes.
>> Escriba 'demo()' para demostraciones, 'help()' para el sistema on-line
>> de ayuda,
>> o 'help.start()' para abrir el sistema de ayuda HTML con su navegador.
>> Escriba 'q()' para salir de R.
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gui_core/goutput.py",
>> line 759, in OnCmdOutput
>>
>> self.cmdOutput.AddTextWrapped(message, wrap = None)
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gui_core/goutput.py",
>> line 1238, in AddTextWrapped
>>
>> txt = EncodeString(txt)
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/core/gcmd.py", line
>> 103, in EncodeString
>>
>> return string.encode(enc)
>> UnicodeDecodeError
>> :
>> 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe1 in position 39: ordinal
>> not in range(128)
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gui_core/goutput.py",
>> line 759, in OnCmdOutput
>>
>> self.cmdOutput.AddTextWrapped(message, wrap = None)
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gui_core/goutput.py",
>> line 1238, in AddTextWrapped
>>
>> txt = EncodeString(txt)
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/core/gcmd.py", line
>> 103, in EncodeString
>>
>> return string.encode(enc)
>> UnicodeDecodeError
>> :
>> 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xf3 in position 25: ordinal
>> not in range(128)
>>
>> Everything seems ok, but when I try to run these couple of commands
>> nothing happens:
>>
>>> library(spgrass6)
>>> G <- gmeta6()
>>
>> I'm running GRASS 6.4.3 on a Ubuntu 12.04.
>>
>> Anyone could help me?
>>
>> Thanks per advance.
>> --

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 91 00
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no