[R-sig-Geo] rgdal writeOGR - clipping variable names

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 21:26:42 CEST 2014

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 4:44 AM, Barry Rowlingson
<b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

> At the moment with rgdal I can't figure out how to add several layers
> to a single Spatialite file or overwrite a single existing layer but I
> suspect I'm just missing an option or two. I can just delete the
> .sqlite file and recreate it, but that's an annoyance... Oh well,
> there has to be one doesn't there?
>
> Barry

Interesting. This can be done at the terminal with ogr2ogr, but
requires the -update switch. ogr2ogr requires the -update switch to
add a layer to a SpatiaLite file, but not to PostGIS. Hence, writeOGR
can add layers to PostGIS but not to SpatiaLite.

I don't think there's any way to pass the -update switch via writeOGR,
as it is not a dataset creation option or layer creation option.

Best,
--Lee