[R-sig-Geo] writeRaster error: unknown file format

pecardoso pauloeducardoso at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 23:35:57 CET 2014

Robert,

Thank you for following this.

It is now able to write the RST object with signed integer datatype:

writeRaster(i.l8, filename = 'D:\\l8_b2.rst', format = 'RST', overwrite =
TRUE, datatype = "INT2S", NAflag = -9999)

I get the same error when i try to use unsigned "INT2U" data type of i.l8
object.

> dataType(i.l8)
[1] "INT2U"

Nonetheless, IDRISI Taiga can read the RST file and from the IDRISI file
Metadata all tags seems to be ok:

file format : Idrisi Raster A.1
file title  :
data type   : integer
file type   : binary
columns     : 7521
rows        : 7311
ref. system : utm-33n
ref. units  : m
unit dist.  : 1

It is the first type writeRaster correctly assign the integer data type and
correctly assigning ref system (utm-33n in this particular case).

Fine.

One detail. I don't think this may influence sny further analysis using
other environments that not R but in fact, Landsat scenes are provided as
unsigned integer (8 or 16 bits).