[R-sig-Geo] rPython installation problem

Jonathan Greenberg jgrn at illinois.edu
Thu Feb 27 16:41:17 CET 2014

Javier:

If you don't mind me asking -- when you said "I need to combine R and
Python to process large raster files" is there a particular function
in python you need to apply to the rasters, or are you specifically
referring to some benefit in python of working with arbitrarily large
raster files?

--j

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 4:24 AM, Javier Martínez López
<javier.martinez at um.es> wrote:
> Dear Roger,
>
> your help is very much appreciated! When I try to locate libpython2.7 is
> does not come up, but the file is present in my $HOME/anaconda/lib.
> Systemwide only python 2.6 is present due to a conflict with 2.7 in CentOS.
>
> I tried something like:
>
> R CMD INSTALL rPython_0.0-4.tar.gz
> --configure-args='LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/majavie/anaconda/lib/'
>
> and
>
> R CMD INSTALL rPython_0.0-4.tar.gz
> --configure-args='PYTHONLIBFILE=/home/majavie/anaconda/lib/libpython2.7.so'
>
> but still getting the same error, and when try:
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/majavie/anaconda/lib/:$PATH
>
> then I cannot even start R!... so, I might try to install a local version of
> R from source, just to try if this one works!
>
> Thank you again and cheers,
>
> Javier
>

> Quoting Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no>:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Feb 2014, Javier Martínez López wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I need to combine R and Python to process large raster files and I would
>>> like to use the "rPython" library for direct transformation of the data
>>> objects created using those environments. However, when I try to install it,
>>> it produces the following error related to the python libraries (see below).
>>> I just installed the Anaconda python distribution locally (no admin rights)
>>> in my home folder (Linux CentOS), which might be causing the problem, but I
>>> do not know how to deal with this issue, so any help is welcome!
>>

>> This is not a specific question for this list, but there may be interest
>> in this fresh and as yet unproven package. What does:
>>
>> locate libpython2.7
>>
>> say on your system? On current Fedora, I see:
>>
>> /usr/lib64/libpython2.7.so
>>
>> with:
>>
>> $ python --version
>> Python 2.7.5
>>
>> as per the advice in:
>>
>> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rPython/INSTALL
>>
>> Your system should provide python, but may have only the python, not both
>> that and the python-devel RPMs installed. If you have installed
>> libpython2.7.so locally, you may need to adjust your LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that
>> the library is visible. If you can get your sysadmin to add the python-devel
>> RPM, life may be easier. Also, write to the package maintainer suggesting
>> that libpython be checked in configure.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Roger
>>

>>> Thank you very much and cheers,
>>>
>>> Javier

>>> Installing package into
>>> /home/majavie/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.0
>>> (as lib is unspecified)
>>> trying URL
>>> 'http://cran.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/CRAN/src/contrib/rPython_0.0-4.tar.gz'
>>> Content type 'text/plain' length 37034 bytes (36 Kb)
>>> opened URL
>>> downloaded 36 Kb
>>>
>>> * installing *source* package rPython ...
> [...]

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Assistant Professor
Global Environmental Analysis and Remote Sensing (GEARS) Laboratory
Department of Geography and Geographic Information Science
259 Computing Applications Building, MC-150
605 East Springfield Avenue
Champaign, IL  61820-6371
Phone: 217-300-1924
http://www.geog.illinois.edu/~jgrn/