[R-sig-Geo] strange trouble with writeOGR call

Cynthia Hart cyndyh at nmsu.edu
Thu Feb 27 04:49:35 CET 2014

I am working on an application that uses 'Shiny'; which allows for
basically running R through a web browser.  My application is tested on
my Windows laptop then ported to a Linux server.   My application
analyzes spatial data, and uses the rgdal library.

I am getting s strange error from writeOGR from a recent version of my
application, and I don't understand why, as the error did not occur
before on either platform, and the changes should not have effected the
call to write.

'Error:  Layer Creation failed'

is the error I am getting.  Which seems to imply a permissions problem,
but I've analyzed that angle to death, and I cannot see a problem (I
even saved a temporary variable to disk right before the writeOGR call,
to the same intended directory, and that works fine).   Is there some
other cause for this error, some other possible problem I should be
looking for?  Thanks!