[R-sig-Geo] Error with RGEOS

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Aug 27 19:21:19 CEST 2014

DO NOT SEND HTML!!!

DO REPLY IN-THREAD - IF YOU DO NOT; NOBODY SEEING YOUR FIRST QUESTION WILL
FIND ANY RESPONSES TO YOUR SECOND QUESTION.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014, Sancta Vega wrote:

> Just for dissolving I use the rgeos package with gUnaryUnion. But I get
> this error :No UnaryUnion in this version of GEOS. I remove the package and
> install it again but I get the same error. Is it linked to my version of R
> or something else? This my code:
>
>     require("rgeos")
>     summary(utah) #
>     regional= gUnaryUnion(utah,utah$region)
>

> According to your suggestion I ask my question with more details:
>
> For my R version:
> R version 3.0.2 (2013-09-25) -- "Frisbee Sailing"
> Copyright (C) 2013 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
> Platform: i686-pc-linux-gnu (32-bit)
>

>> From library (rgeos) I get this warning :
> rgeos version: 0.3-6, (SVN revision 450)
> GEOS runtime version: 3.2.2-CAPI-1.6.2

So your GEOS is 3.2.2, released March 2010, and as I wrote before,
gUnaryUnion() is only available from GEOS 3.3.0.

Did you yourself install GEOS, or did someone else? Do you have multiple
copies of GEOS installed to match other applications (PostGIS, QGIS), and
have muddle in the search order of shared objects? Which GEOS was fould
when rgeos was installed (it is reported to the console during
installation)?

Did you try what I suggested, gUnionCascaded()? It does the same as
gUnaryUnion(), but less efficiently. If you need gUnaryUnion(), upgrade
GEOS to at least 3.3.0, and re-install rgeos.

Please do try to adhere to the instructions and posting guide for R
lists, linked from the list page whose address is appended to every
message published.

Roger