[R-sig-Geo] Point in Polygon Overlay Memory Error

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Aug 25 14:59:32 CEST 2014

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014, Francesco Tonini wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I keep getting a memory error (vector too big) when overlaying hundreds of
> thousands of points with a polygon layer. The computer I am running this on
> is quite powerful, thus the error is just internal to R because of reaching a
> vector allocation too big in size. Is there any workaround to execute this
> operation? My goal is to overlay several point onto a habitat polygon layer,
> and remove all points falling outside that polygon.

Please recall that nobody can see over your shoulder. Always state the
output of sessionInfo(), the code causing the error, the output of
traceback() after the error, and some details of the objects concerned
(counts of points, for example). Are you for example using over() methods
from the sp package?

Powerful may also be misconfigured, so available RAM and any adjustments
you have made to R defaults should be declared.

Do read the posting guide!

Roger