[R-sig-Geo] Dissolve polygons - unionSpatialPolygons - Error : isTRUE(gpclibPermitStatus()) is not TRUE

Xochitl.Cormon at ifremer.fr Xochitl.Cormon at ifremer.fr
Tue Apr 29 17:08:14 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I am trying to merge ICES divisions polygons by subareas i.e. division
IVa, IVb and IVc in the shapefile and I want to obtain IV (IVa+IVb+IVc).

To realize that I thought to use the function unionSpatialPolygons().
Is that a good choice?

If yes, I tried to apply it and obtained the error
"isTRUE(gpclibPermitStatus()) is not TRUE".

I therefore try to find more information about the use of this
function and download the following example:
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/scicomp/usecases/PolygonDissolveOperationsR

Unfortunately I get the same error and I really don't understand how
it coudl be as I am using the example script. Maybe something is wrong
with my R configuration?

Thank you very much for your help,

Best,

Xochitl C.