[R-sig-Geo] kerneloverlaphr and BRB

Anna-Marie Corman annajess at gmx.de
Fri Apr 25 14:15:57 CEST 2014

Dear all,

I apologize in advance for any stupid question. But I am completeIy new
in this kind of analyses and confused with some of the necessary input
parameters...
I want to compare my BRB outputs of different individuals (gulls) from
DIFFERENT COLONIES (i.e. single breeding colonies are about 5 to 160 km
away (beeline) from each other) by calculating their volume of
intersection with kerneloverlaphr.
Seems as if I  don't really understand the grid and extent option within
the BRB command. Increasing the grid means increasing resolution,
doesn't it? But what does increasing of the extent mean at the same time?

I need to use the same grid for all individuals to calculate the
overlap, right? The problem is to find the right grid for all
colonies/individuals.
Additionally, the output of kernel.area always differs when I use other
grids and extents and I often get the following error message:

"The grid is too small to allow the estimation of home-range for the
following value of percent:
20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55,60,65,70,75,80,85,90,95. You should rerun
kernelUD with a larger extent parameter."

Why are the areas not the same irrespective of the grid size?

Is it just not possible to calculate the overlap of individuals from
different colonies?

Hope, anyone can help me out of this confusion.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Anna