[R-sig-Geo] Importing only lines from big shape file

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Apr 24 18:47:54 CEST 2014

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014, Agus Camacho wrote:

> Thanks for the fast response,
>
> @ Barry
> The .shp file is 420,241KB, the .shx is 6,994KB and the .dbf is 1,729,941KB.
> @ Javier, id like to use the whole region.

But you'll never be able to render the detail in this coastline anyway.
Why not just use maptools::Rgshhs with the intermediate binary dataset,
setting a sensible bounding box? I've had trouble with the newest fine
data set and with the equivalent 2.3.0 shapefile (missing Norwegian
islands), but an older version (2.1.0) was fine.

Roger

> Might be any easy way to reduce the number of vertex previously to import?
>
> These shape files are available at:
> http://mapas.mma.gov.br/mapas/aplic/probio/datadownload.htm

> j.garcia-pintado at reading.ac.uk>:
>
>> A possibility is, if you are interested in some specific area of the mata
>> atlantica, to crop the file externally with OGR just for your study area,
>> and read the cropped file into R.
>>
>> Javier
>> ---

>>> AF=rgdal::readOGR("dir",layer="mata_atlantica")