[R-sig-Geo] raster plotting problem

Ziyu Ma paul.ziyu.ma at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 13:49:09 CEST 2014

Dear R-sig-geo,

I was having a problem of not being able to plot a raster, simply by:

 plot(raster("somefilename"))

but the plot is blank (like the attached file). There was no error message,
and apparently the plot function was reading the raster data because the
scale was plotted.

I tried to plot several different data sets, even one raster generated from
a matrix of all random numbers. They all turned out to be blank.

This is not my first time encountering this "blank raster plot" problem.
I've seen this on other cases while working as a TA. It appeared on few
computers while using completely the same data and codes as the others in
the class.

I encountered this problem myself today while trying to remotely work on
the lab's GIS server. The server was running on Windows 7 with an older
version of R. I updated to R 3.1.0 and updated all packages, but the
problem persists.

Have anyone encountered this before? What could be wrong in my case here?

Thank you very much.
Happy Easter holidays.

Ziyu Ma
PhD Student
Ecoinformatics & Biodiversity,
Department of Bioscience, Aarhus University
Ny Munkegade 114, DK-8000 Aarhus C, Denmark