[R-sig-Geo] How to create a SpatialMultiPoints object

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Mon Apr 14 15:34:56 CEST 2014

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/sp/vignettes/csdacm.pdf

is a retired chapter from the first edition of http://www.asdar-book.org
and describes a possible implementation of SpatialMultiPoints in a way
similar to other classes deriving from Spatial. Since its appearance in
2008, nobody has ever mentioned using them, but if you try, let me know
which new problems it solves!

I think the more usual way of treating these things is having
SpatialPointsDataFrame objects with a factor explaining what each point
represents (e.g, trees of different species), like a marked point
pattern with nominal marks.