[R-sig-Geo] decimals in NA value using raster::writeRaster with .ascii format

Zack Holden zaholdenfs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 00:29:37 CEST 2014

Thanks for getting back to me Jonathan.

In reality, I am creating the files from an existing DEM. However, I
get the same behavior regardless of whether I generate the file in R
(as with my example code) or with actual data.
I have since tested on 4 machines. One windows machine with an older
version of R successfully generates the desired ascii file without the
decimals. The other 3 computers (Linux and windows machines) add the
decimals. As a workaround, I've tried using -Inf as my NAflag. This
eliminates the decimals, but results in a large string of white space
in front of the first row of data. These still cause problems for
PCraster (the next step in the processing chain).

I'm still stumped.

Thanks again,
Zack