[R-sig-Geo] gstat: Parameter estimate Matern vs exponential variogram model

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Thu Apr 10 10:39:25 CEST 2014

This is well known, see e.g. Ribeiro & Diggle, "Model-based
geostatistics", 2007, page 51. The point of the Matern model is that
different values of kappa represent random fields with different degrees
of smoothness, the exponential, fixing kappa at 0.5, does not provide
that. Nobody can tell you upfront how smooth the variable is from which
you obtained data.

--
Edzer Pebesma
Heisenbergstraße 2, 48149 Münster, Germany. Phone: +49 251