[R-sig-Geo] function to convert to/from U.S. State Plane Coordinates?

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 01:25:44 CEST 2013

State plane is either UTM or Lambert Conformal Conic ("+proj=lcc"),
but this is a *family* (of families) of projections, not a specific
coordinate system. You'll need to be more specific by finding from an
authority which actual "State Plane" projection you need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Plane_Coordinate_System

spatialreference.org is a good place to look if you are lacking detail:

http://spatialreference.org/ref/?search=state+plane

Often there is metadata present in data files so if you have those it
might be worth describing them, and trying tools in rgdal to find this
out. An EPSG code likely to be the most concise identifier, but it
could be PROJ.4 or WKT or something else that your colleagues might
know.

Cheers, Mike.