[R-sig-Geo] Early version of gdalUtils (GDAL Utility Wrappers) now on R-forge

Jonathan Greenberg jgrn at illinois.edu
Sat Oct 19 17:08:34 CEST 2013

r-sig-geo'ers:

I wanted to draw your attention to the initial release of gdalUtils at:
install.packages("gdalUtils", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

(https://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=1695)

Matteo Mattiuzzi and I have been working to provide R wrappers for all
gdal utility programs.  Right now, we have gdal_translate, gdalinfo,
gdalwarp, and gdalsrsinfo completed.

This package uses an *already-installed* GDAL on your system.  You
will need to install one before using this package.  gdalUtils will
search for your GDAL installation the first time you run it.

In the case of Windows boxes, this package provides an easy way to
work with HDF4/5 files if you have had issues with this previously.

For GDAL installations, check out:
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DownloadingGdalBinaries

Note that the latest QGIS release
(http://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html) provides, as far
as I know, the most up-to-date GDAL binaries for Windows boxes that
also support HDF files.

For Macs, we recommend William Kyngesburye's GDAL Complete Framework:
http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:frameworks

This is not designed to be a replacement for rgdal in any way, rather,
provides direct access to the various GDAL utility programs
(http://gdal.org/gdal_utilities.html).

Please let us know if you have any suggestions/bug reports.  While we
will eventually wrap all of the utility programs up, but if there is
one you would like us to prioritize, let us know that as well!

--jonathan

--
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Assistant Professor