[R-sig-Geo] Spatial Panel Multinomial Probit

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Oct 18 08:58:16 CEST 2013

Please do read Sarah Goslee's sensible reply to a different thread:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2013-October/019577.html

see:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/attachments/20131017/8bacc39c/attachment.pl

because the thread was in HTML.

Although it is flattering that users seem to believe that all new methods
are implemented first by "somebody" in R and released as packages, this is
not the case. Many methods are still unfortunately published as working
papers or published articles with no implementation (so would nevver be
published in statistics journals). Those who also write and provide code
are often sceptical when faced with methods proposals with no way of
checking whether an implementation actually matches the method.

When asking about new and speculative methods, look first in the usual
search mechanisms, and if asking on the list, do provide clear and
complete references to papers/articles so that it is clear what you are
asking about. Showing whether there is anything like what you ask about is
also sensible, spatial probit is in the McSpatial and spatialprobit
packages, but they are neither panel nor multinomial. My guess is that you
are looking at land use change, but there you probably also need to worry
about the units of observation, and possible non-linear covariates. A
brief description (one sentence) of why you are asking also helps.

Hope this clarifies,

Roger