[R-sig-Geo] Long time to load shapefiles

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 08:19:39 CEST 2013

I have a similar spec to yours, with i7 instead.

I have successfully read it, but first time it crashed (I think
because memory was exhausted).

It took about 20min.

I would work on subsetting the part you want with an ogr2ogr
incantation if you want to stay away from GIS:
http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html

QGIS or similar would be able to read / crop this no-sweat, but it
depends on exactly how you want to subset it, and that may be a topic
for another forum

Cheers, Mike