[R-sig-Geo] random sampling along contour

Seth Bigelow seth at swbigelow.net
Wed Oct 9 15:01:10 CEST 2013

Barry,

I do mean exactly what you have stated, i.e., "plus or minus up to 50m
either side of the points created by your plot, but along the contour line?
In other words, I go to each of those points on your plot, choose a
runif(1,-50,50) and traverse that distance on the contour line to get my
sampling point?"

In my real-world application, there do not seem to be either of the 'edge'
issues you raise, since the flank of the mountain I am sampling is not
highly dissected. But if the contour line is a loop, it would be fine to 'go
around', or just throw an 'NA'. Similarly, if the contour line ends, an 'NA'
would be ok.

Thanks for thinking about this!

-Seth Bigelow