[R-sig-Geo] Import a GeoTIFF file and plot it on a map with lat-long coordinates - NOT QUITE RESOLVED?

Amelie LESCROEL Amelie.LESCROEL at cefe.cnrs.fr
Fri Oct 4 15:19:38 CEST 2013

Actually, now that I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to add a SpatialPolygon to my plotted raster, I realize that something went wrong in the reading or projection process of the .tif file, which is why you said " since its a smallish area". Well, it's not: it should go from about 70 to 80°S and from 160°E to 170°W. But when I do plotRGB(tl, axes=TRUE), the axes go only from -75.00000 to -74.98381 and from -170.0000 to -169.9514. Yikes!
I guess there is something wrong with the extent:

> extent(t)
class       : Extent
xmin        : 0
xmax        : 1400
ymin        : 0
ymax        : 1800
> extent(j)
class       : Extent
xmin        : -948250
xmax        : -248250
ymin        : -618000
ymax        : 282000
> extent(tl)
class       : Extent
xmin        : -170
xmax        : -169.9514
ymin        : -75
ymax        : -74.98381

The metadata of the .tif file say:

projection center lon: -170.0000
projection center lat: -75.0000
image center lon: +168
image center lat: -75.5
UL lon: +163.5539
UL lat: -70.5374
UR lon: -177.3704
UR lat: -72.3252
LR lon: +176.6394
LR lat: -80.3056
LL lon: +147.4332
LL lat: -77.3404
UL easting (km): -948.2500
UL northing (km): +282.0000

Any hint about how I could get this right?

Thanks for your consideration,

Amélie