[R-sig-Geo] spplot.points: one panel per level of a factor

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Fri Oct 4 11:56:01 CEST 2013

I don't think you are missing something here -- spplot doesn't do that
much more than the underlying lattice functions, and in particular it
tries to plot attributes of spatial features, using panels for
different attributes. Your question seems to only address plotting
points, sth that spplot does not try to.

You did not say which spplot options you want to take advantage of,
but suppose you want to add some referencing (a polygon), and remove
axis labels and tics, you might want to use:

library(sp)
demo(meuse, ask = FALSE)
xyplot(y~x|ffreq, as(meuse, "data.frame"), asp="iso",
	panel = function(x,y,...) {
		sp.polygons(meuse.riv)
		# anything else you want to do in every panel
		panel.xyplot(x,y,...)
	},
	scales = list(draw = FALSE),
	xlab = NULL, ylab = NULL